Sunday, December 5, 2021

Respectful Disagreement




This week, there was a lot of uproar on veterinary social media about an article published in the Juneau Empire called “Veterinarian shortage dogs Juneau.” If you haven’t read the article, you may want to save yourself some time and skip it, but if you read it and have an opinion about it, you are not alone.  


The basic premise and intention of the article were to highlight the struggles of veterinary practices in Juneau, Alaska. Like many other states, veterinary practices are experiencing a shortage of veterinarians and increased client demands. The article started innocently enough, but then some things were said (allegedly/maybe, taken out of context) that set off a firestorm of comments - not so kind words - on social media sites. 


Here are a few of the comments that I read.  


“Dr. S… forgets that, “leftists female veterinarians” can castrate giant jack asses.” ,  “misogynistic right-wing (probably racist…) cis white male…”, “Old White Man.” and lastly, “He can f—-ing twist in the wind.”


Fine, I get it; I was briefly offended by some of it too, but should veterinarians attack other veterinarians? What have we become when our need to be right causes us to degrade and insult another human being, especially one of our fellow professionals that we profess to care about so deeply?


My point in bringing this to my blog is not to shame anyone for their anger. Anger is a valid emotion that we all feel at times. We need to feel the insult and become angry about it, but then better handle our negative emotions. We can do better than lashing out. If we lash out with a personal attack, we repeat the same mistake of the person who insulted us. 


How do we disagree without lashing out?

Do not blame other people for your emotion. Other people don’t make you mad; your thoughts about their comments and opinions make you mad. You have control over how you react to that anger and how you express your differing opinion. You can disagree in a calm, logical manner and probably get your point across better than when you hurl insults.  


Work through your anger before responding to a post or comment online. When clients leave a negative review about me or my practice, it hurts, and I may react by becoming angry or sad about their unkind words. If I act on that anger, I will not respond as my best self. Take some time to process your anger before you respond. Work through it, meditate on it, or feel it all the way through.  I call it the 24-hour rule, and it means that you need to process your feelings overnight so your response will be well thought out. Wait 24 hours before commenting on a Facebook post if you feel yourself typing insults.


I am all for disagreement and debate; it is part of healthy communication. As part of keeping our profession healthy and intact, I would love to see all of us come together and support each other even in our disagreements and diverse opinions. I hope that the veterinarians involved with this article and the ensuing comments are safe and well. I hope that all of them feel heard and valued.


I wish that we will keep working to feel better and do better for the sake of our noble profession.


Dr. Julie Cappel


“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain


“Love is wise; hatred is foolish. In this world, which is getting more and more closely interconnected, we have to learn to tolerate each other, we have to learn to put up with the fact that some people say things that we don't like. We can only live together in that way. But if we are to live together, and not die together, we must learn a kind of charity and a kind of tolerance, which is absolutely vital to the continuation of human life on this planet.” ― Bertrand Russell

No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...