Sunday, November 28, 2021

Thankful, Grateful, and a little "SAD."





This week we celebrated Thanksgiving, better for most of us this year because we are moving beyond Covid and living a more normal life. Gatherings are now acceptable, and there is far less fear and uncertainty with the vaccines and many more effective treatments. As I cooked my turkey and got my Christmas lights in order, I began to think about the year that passed and how I was feeling a little sad overall. How did this year go by so fast? Why is it winter already? I love Christmas lights, my family, turkey, and even a little snow, so why am I feeling low? 


I must admit, as the days are shorter and the weather gets colder, I start to feel a bit trapped and a little down. As I get up in the morning, it is dark, and as I leave work in the evening, it is dark. I start to feel less energetic. I love bike riding and hanging outdoors in the summer, but it is not the same for me when Michigan's weather gets ugly and cold.


I look forward to Christmas, but the change in seasons can get to me, and I feel slow and less ambitious. I want to arrive home, put on my stretchy pants, and crawl under a blanket on the couch to watch some lame competition show like Dancing with the Stars or maybe binge-watch a Netflix series. 


There is a thing called Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD that many people deal with each year, and because I am feeling a bit similar now, I thought I might do a little research on SAD to see what I could learn, and in turn, share with you in my blog. 


According to Norman Rosenthal, MD, who coined the term "Seasonal Affective Disorder" in 1986, 6% of people that live in the northern parts of the United States have SAD. Another 14% deal with a lesser form of SAD, called the "winter blues." I would add that some of us feel a bit off and struggle more with our ambition in the winter.  


The symptoms of SAD, as listed by The National Institute of Mental Health, are lack of energy, feeling sleepy, weight gain or loss, overeating, social withdrawal, restlessness, anxiety, irritability, and insomnia. It differs from major depression in that people don't often feel hopeless or worthless with SAD, most still function well during the day, and of course, it does not stay with them all year. 


To combat SAD or winter blues, you must get some good quality sleep. As I tend to do, staying up too late feels productive but can add to your anxiety by disrupting the hours that you should be resting. It works best to adopt an evening routine by making tea or reading before bed. Pick a bedtime and stick to it; Netflix will still be there tomorrow. 


It would help if you also had healthy food, exercise, vitamin D supplementation, and sunshine. SAD is thought to be associated with increased melatonin and decreased serotonin. You can increase your serotonin levels by natural sunlight exposure (even if you have to walk outside in the cold) or artificially with a lightbox designed to mimic sun exposure. The lightboxes have 20 times greater light than your regular indoor lighting. You can do both if you feel inclined, but get yourself in some light, eat well, and move your body.


Cognitive-behavioral therapy and coaching can help you change your thoughts and behaviors to bring you out of your funk. Working on yourself to set goals and prevent yourself from couch surfing all evening enables you to feel better. I know that if I do some thought work, practice yoga, or get my butt on my stationary bike for 30 minutes, I will think, sleep, and feel so much better. 


Now that I know why I may be feeling low, I am thankful that I have good information, access to that information, and the tools to implement change. I am grateful that I will spend a few weeks in Florida this year, where the sun shines brighter, and it is easier to get outside. I am thankful that I have Christmas lights, turkey, and friends who read this blog each week to encourage me to research and learn about things like SAD and "winter blues." 


I vow to work on myself this winter to do better. Let me know if you want to join me by setting some goals to feel less "SAD."  


Please leave me a comment or email @jacappeldvm@gmail.com.


Dr. Julie Cappel


“With every new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” Eleanore Roosevelt


“The best way out is always through.”  Robert Frost


No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...