Sunday, December 12, 2021

As the year ends, don't give in to procrastination.





"There are so many things to do and not enough time to do them." I often think this thought throughout the year, but it seems to fit even more in December. Something about the approaching year-end makes me feel pressured to get everything done quickly and efficiently. I need to accomplish big goals that I had set for the year and the day-to-day tasks and the immediate responsibilities that come with the holidays. Shopping, planning, parties, and family all add to the stress of the year's end. 


When we feel overwhelmed with daily chores and work tasks, our first instinct is to procrastinate. Procrastination is an act of fear, fear of failing, and everyone does it. We fear making a poor decision about any number of things, and so we avoid making any decision at all. We turn our attention to something that requires less focus and find ourselves deep in procrastination. I procrastinate this time of year by turning on the Hallmark channel to watch a Christmas movie. It does not matter which one, because they are all the same. The cheesy movies are my way of avoiding decisions and working on goals.  


We know that we are likely to procrastinate at the most stressful time of the year. How can we focus and overcome our fear of failure, make firm decisions, and get our work done?


Start with making a list (and checking it twice). Get all the things that need to be done out of your head and onto that list. What tasks do you need to complete to achieve your goals? If it is gift shopping and wrapping, decide which is the priority. Usually, shopping comes first, so complete it all before moving on. Then get to work on the wrapping. Once you know what you want to get done, you can prioritize the tasks and achieve the end goal. If you start to feel paralyzed in fear and procrastination, take the next small step from your prioritized to-do list.  


Avoid your distractions. It takes some level of determination to keep yourself from getting distracted. Distraction is the enemy of focus. If you know your triggers and catch yourself when you become unfocused, you can quickly turn yourself around. For me, that means staying away from the Hallmark channel. Remember that the decisions are what you are afraid of. If you can make solid and quick decisions, it will keep you from procrastination. Do the next thing on the list when you begin to feel overwhelmed. 


Beware of your excuses. My favorite is blaming others for my lack of focus. "Someone texted me and interrupted my work time, and why does everyone keep bugging me when I am busy?" These are the excuses that you will invent when trying to avoid doing the work that needs to be done. Your excuses are brain drama, and brain drama is just noise. Please don't listen to your drama and stay on track. Growth comes from knowing yourself well enough to ignore your excuses. Take responsibility for yourself and get to work. 


Get support. My best work comes after I have been coached by another driven person. Coaches and mentors have a way of helping you sort through your brain drama and get to the root of the procrastination. Reach out for help when you feel stuck in procrastination. You can change if you put in the effort to do it.


Get something done this week and share with me what you do.


Dr. Julie Cappel


"If you have goals and procrastination, you have nothing. If you have goals and you take action, you will have anything you want." - Thomas J. Vilord.




No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...