Sunday, June 27, 2021

What is happening to veterinary medicine?




Negative reviews, impatient clients, increasing pet numbers, overworked teams, understaffed clinics, pressure for profits, and personal overwhelm; this is the state of our profession now. I don't see an end in sight or an easy solution. Clients have to wait months to get their pets in for surgery or vaccinations. Many pets with non-life-threatening but urgent conditions are being referred to emergency clinics that suffer the same problems of being overworked and understaffed. People do not like it, and neither do we, but what are we to do?



This week my friend and hospital manager was tasked with responding to several online reviews from ticked-off clients that were turned away from our hospital because we are so overworked and understaffed that we are no longer taking on new clients. When we turn people away, their first thought seems to be, "Maybe I should put a nasty review on the internet to make me feel better about not getting what I want -- that will teach them." People, we are not turning you away to be mean or rude; we just are trying to keep our team safe and keep them from being so overworked that they quit the profession or go to another job that shows more respect for their time and skills.


I was excited to receive my Michigan Veterinarian Magazine this week because I had contributed an article and, I was excited to see the layout. After I admired my work, I flipped to the advertisement section of the magazine out of curiosity. I counted twelve pages of advertisements looking for veterinarians. Twelve pages! There were at least eight ads on each page. That is one hell of a lot of hospitals looking for veterinary help, so I guess we are not alone.  

Employment projections by the Bureau of Labor Statistics show veterinary occupations are expected to add 51,700 new jobs and grow at a rate of 19% by 2026. 2.5 times faster than the 7% average projected for all occupations.


Many of our clients do not understand that we have up to 30 plus patients per doctor, scheduled every day. Another 30-40 clients are calling and coming in for drug refills and technician appointments. We have been seeing 4.5 patients per hour, which works out to be 13.3 minutes per pet. Hardly a long time to weigh, temp, examine, draw blood, give vaccines, do a nail trim, anal glands, then talk to the client, fill out records and paperwork, write up the exam in the computer, charge for services, and get the pet out the door. That is not to mention the pets that need to be muzzled, drugged, or restrained by multiple people because they are uncooperative or downright dangerous. I don't say all of this to complain. I love this profession and what I get to do every day. Still, I fear that the shortage of veterinarians and veterinary technicians will eventually result in poor care for the pets and people that we serve. 


I know that we can change this profession's outlook and the downward spiral if we start to work together. Veterinarians are brilliant, and I have been blessed to have many great veterinary colleagues. These great minds are capable of changing the work that we do to make it more efficient. We need to change the negative narrative and the hospital schedules to serve everyone better. This is one of the main reasons that I became a life coach for veterinarians. Changing the way we see ourselves can go a long way to changing public perception and improving our overall earning capacity and quality of life. 


If you are a veterinarian, veterinary technician, or support staff, please take care of yourself and your mind first. I believe that we can do this together. If you are someone that knows a veterinarian, please give them your love and support. This profession is struggling to do our job and do it well. We love you and your pet and are doing our best to care for ourselves and them all. Be kind to each other.


Dr. Julie Cappel

“Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.” – Barbara De Angelis



No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...