Sunday, June 20, 2021

The Generosity of Opera Mississippi






This week I traveled to visit my daughter and hear her sing in several performances with Opera Mississippi. I live in the Detroit area, and my daughter lives in Dallas, so I take any chance that I can travel to see her. Besides, I am a true “fan, Mom.” I love to attend every performance to see her perform. I have seen the years of work that brought her to this level of success, and I love to share in her victories.  


I have been to Mississippi before, but I had the chance to interact with people in different cities this time. I visited their homes, businesses and was invited into their local opera circles. When artists are hired to perform in various cities, the patrons of the arts organizations often open their homes to the performers. In place of hotel rooms, they host and house the performers for several days, before and after the events. We were even invited to attend an after-party at a beautiful sprawling southern home - well, maybe I was not asked, I crashed the party — but I was graciously welcomed anyway.


The people that I met in all circumstances were next-level lovely. They were so kind and generous. Many of them asked me where I was from because the Detroit accent is very different from the Jackson Mississippi accent. As I watched how these people treated me (an obvious outsider) and others, including the opera singers and musicians, I had some thoughts about their generosity. They were so friendly and seemed so happy. 


Is there a way to make our lives better if we practice being more generous? 


According to a recent survey of 1010 people, done by The Ascent, high-generosity people were 23% more likely to be satisfied with their lives overall, and were happier with their relationships, jobs, and possessions. Generosity makes us more likely to feel optimistic about the world around us. Instead of reading the negative news and feeling helpless, practicing generosity makes us feel as if we can make a difference in our community and others’ lives. Charity creates a possibility mindset in the giver and the receiver. Instead of seeing resources as stagnant and scarce, generous acts open up an abundance mindset for everyone.


Take some time to think about your generosity. You do not have to spend money to contribute generously to others. Start with a grateful heart and recognize your own blessings, talents, and resources. Start small and do one small act of kindness by giving a big tip to a waiter or pay for someone’s coffee in a food line. If you are not used to giving away your money, try a small donation to a favorite charity. Give up one luxury item and use that money to donate. I promise that those few dollars will make you feel so good that you will get every penny’s worth back.  


If you do not want to give money, spend a little of your time giving to others. Generosity of time is one of the most valuable things that you have to offer. Do a chore for a neighbor or offer to allow someone to go before you in a line. These small acts will add to your overall well-being and lead to other opportunities to give to others. You can even be generous in your words. Saying one kind thing to another person is an act of generosity. For example, tell a frazzled pet owner that they are doing a great job or compliment your friend on their parenting skills. Kindness shared may change a life. 


Practicing your generosity with words, with time, or with money will add great dividends to your life and the life of those around you. If we all did a few more generous acts, our world would be a much richer place.  


Take a lesson from my new Mississippi friends and be more generous, Y’all. 


Dr. Julie Cappel


“Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.” ―Henry Longfellow.


“You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” — John Bunyan.




No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...