Sunday, October 24, 2021

Lemonade from Lemons






This week was interesting, like most weeks in veterinary practice. I experienced both ends of the client interaction spectrum — critical negative client and supportive positive client.


Hateful words, complaints, and negative reviews from our clients are often mentally harmful and feel terrible. If you have spent any time in this profession, you have had a negative client experience more than once. We usually take their words at face value and feel bad about ourselves based on their comments. As clients offer their opinions, I think we can take some of their negativity and use it to make us better and stronger people. Using critical and hateful words to create positive results is much like making lemonade from lemons.


On Monday evening, just as I was getting ready to life coach a veterinarian, I read an email from a loyal, longtime veterinary client. The email went something like but not exactly like this….Julie, I have been a client of the hospital for over 30 years. When I have a cat with a problem and call for assistance, I am told to go to emergency.  Is this how you “life coach” your veterinarians? Tell them to abandon their clients for time off?…. There was more, but you get a general idea. He was angry at the receptionists for not getting him into the schedule and made sure that I knew about it by email as soon as he could. No plea for help, no “sorry to bother you doc,” just sarcasm. When I politely returned his email saying that I would be happy to help when I was in the office on Tuesday, he answered with more sarcastic quips and negative comments about me and my team. 


When I read his first email, I had a difficult choice to make. Do I respond with an equally snarky comment — I have been known to be pretty good at sarcasm and passive aggression — or do I remain kind and try to help him? My epithetic better self told me that he was upset about his cat being ill on my day off. I chose to send a kind response offering help the next day and not respond to the snarky comment about my life coaching. When he refused to accept my help Tuesday, I decided to let it go, not respond, and allow him the space to determine his next move.


When people disagree with your policies or your level of access, they may become haters, and it is easy to allow them to bring us down on our profession. We have a choice to either let hostile clients stop us from offering our services, or use their comments as fuel to propel us forward to more success. 


Understand that your success brings exposure. Client criticism is a sign that you and your hospital are doing something right. If you do not create enough demand to be busy, you will not have upset people when you are unavailable. Seeing the angry client as bitter because you were not there to help shows how important he thinks you are.


Use the negative example to make you more tolerant of others. When you are frustrated with a situation beyond your control, do not respond with criticism and sarcasm. Use your empathy to show up in a better, more professional way. Kindness from you will not always be returned, but you will feel better knowing that you responded as your best self.


Understand that criticism may allow you to change and grow. If you remain open to some level of feedback, you may find something in yourself or your practice that you want to change. A humble look at the sentiment behind the critique may reveal some truth. If nothing else, you can practice your compassion and listen openly without judging the client or yourself. Both parties can be right without anything changing. My client is correct about wanting his cat seen, and I am right about wanting to have experiences outside of veterinary practice.  


Allow the negative client comments to teach you to appreciate the kind-hearted people. Saturday, I had a gentleman tell me that he deeply appreciates our team. He has two very high-maintenance allergy dogs that often have bouts of ear and skin infections. He said, “You and your staff have been amazing at helping me with my dogs this year; every time I call, the people are nice.”


Thank you, sir, for reminding us that lemons are rare, but when we get one, we can make lemonade.


Dr. Julie Cappel




Join me on The Veterinary Life Coach Podcast!


No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...