Sunday, April 26, 2020

Concerned not consumed.


Today is Sunday and we are over 6 weeks into the Corona virus shutdown of Michigan, the United States and much of the world.  This new way of life has definitely affected the way I see almost everything.  Today we had a Zoom call with my family to play team trivia.  It is something that we started a few weeks ago to get the family together to virtually visit, as we are all quarantined in our different states.  This is the highlight of my week.  I love seeing my adult children, my parents, and my sister’s family all gathered on the screen of my laptop - if only for an hour or two.   

I had so many plans for April and May, as so many of us did.   I planned to visit New York City to see my son and get a tour of his apartment and the area that he loves in Brooklyn.  I planned to visit Texas to see my daughter and her husband perform with Fort Worth Opera.  I have my opera tickets for their shows which were supposed to be this week.  We have all had things that have been postponed or cancelled which is disappointing. I have concerns that this shutdown will drag on and I will continue to miss in-person visits with all of my family. 

In this uncertain environment, we all have concerns about our families’ safety and health. We have concerns about our veterinary team’s safety, health and financial stability.  We have concerns about the terrible economy and all of us regaining the ability to earn a living.  

We can have concerns, but we do not have to be consumed by it all.

When worry starts to consume your thoughts, think about scheduling a specific time to process those worries and thoughts.  All the “what if” scenarios can be constrained to a short period of time. This will allow you to think about your situation, process the thoughts, and then move on with the rest of your day.  Practice writing out a thought download to help you work the through the thoughts that are threatening to consume you. If concerns come up throughout the day, write them down then resolve to think about them during your “worry time”.  Restraining your worries and concerns to a specific time of day will allow you to process them and live in the moment.

Focus on the positive.  As you move throughout your day, try to notice the little things that are going well for you.  Appreciating what is going well in your life and looking for the positive, will allow your brain to let go of the worry.  Practice gratitude and pass some of your positive energy along to others in your life allowing them to share in your positive energy. Be mindful of your concerns.

Acknowledging your concerns about the virus and your family is normal will allow you to take the appropriate precautions to keep them safe.  When you feel that you are being consumed with worry practice scheduling thought exercises, look for positivity, and practice mindfulness.  Allow yourself to move from consumed to concerned.


Remaining strong in the face of this pandemic does not mean that we must ignore our emotions.  We need to be able to allow ourselves to feel our concerns without allowing them to ruin us.  

Resolve to embrace your concerns without letting your worries consume you. 

Dr. Julie Cappel

“There is a great difference between worry and concern. A worried person sees a problem, and a concerned person solves a problem.” – Harold Stephen


Join Me on the Podcast!  
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-veterinary-life-coach-podcast-with-dr-julie-cappel/id1451549730


Sign up for my Weekly Words of Support - https://www.juliecappel.com/





No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...