Sunday, February 16, 2020

Give your team the gift of praise, love, and appreciation - it will come back to you.


This past week on Friday was Valentine’s Day.  I had the day off but took the opportunity to go into work to finish up on some records and phone calls that I had failed to finish the day before.  Thursday evening, I rushed out of work to see my son perform in the orchestra with IL Volo. If you don’t know who IL Volo is, check out their unique combination of opera and pop music often featured on PBS.  Anyway, I digress…

My main focus was to catch up on paperwork and call clients that I did not get to on the day before; however, I hate sitting still at the computer, so I spend some time observing and talking to the team.  On this day, Valentine’s Day, I noticed that my hospital manager had provided heart shaped donuts, candies and other treats for the hospital.  They were all displayed beautifully on our lunchroom table for everyone’s enjoyment – a small token of our managers appreciation for all of the hard work and dedication that we get from our team.

I enjoy going to work on my day off because it allows me to see my team work together when I am not actually seeing patients.  It is a little like being on the outside looking in. It gives me a unique perspective on the degree of efficiency, communication, comradery, and trust that my team offers to one another.  Being there without actually working allows me to notice things that I would not normally see when I am focused on taking care of my patients and clients.   It allows me to see their hard work and appreciate them more.

There are many ways to show your team that you value and appreciate them, but it is something that we often forget about as we navigate busy days.  Appreciation not only helps our team members but is also does great things for us.

Here are five benefits of sharing your appreciation:

1.    Your mood will improve.  Studies show that when we focus on noticing the positive things around us, we will feel more positive emotion.  Changing your thoughts from negativity and criticism to thoughts of appreciation will change your outlook on the day.  When your mood is better, you will be more likely to give your team praise. The positive feedback and support that you give your team will increase their work satisfaction and mood as well.

2.    Your mindset will change.  Looking for the good in people in your workplace will ultimately result in you enjoying your work more.  If I focus on the negative things that happen at work every day, I will feel negative about my work.  If I can learn to look for the positive and appreciate what I have, I will change my mindset to a positive focus and will notice the good things more, thus loving my job more.

3.    You will build trust in your organization.  When you actively work to appreciate your team, they will be more likely to trust your decisions.  If the team knows that they are appreciated, they will allow you and each other to make mistakes without judgement.  They will be more likely to encourage each other and show support when one falters. 

4.    They will stay with you longer.  It makes sense that if someone feels valued that they will want to stay where they are.  It has been shown that rewarding employees for years of service and offering them appreciation for longevity actually makes them want to stay longer (*).  At our practice, we celebrate anniversaries at team meetings with gift cards, public recognition and appreciation.  I like to think that the brief anniversary celebration is not the only reason they stay, but it is a small piece of the appreciation puzzle.

5.    You will have a more effective team.  When the leader and the team are focused on appreciation, it will ultimately spill over into their service offered to the clients.  Appreciation builds on itself and spreads a family-like atmosphere throughout your practice.  If each person is on the lookout for good, they will offer a higher level of service and professionalism to the clients which will result in a better practice.

Find something wonderful in your hospital family and compliment them for it.  By giving them the gift of praise, love, and appreciation, you will be improving your life as well. 

Dr. Julie Cappel

“Appreciation can make a day, even change a life.  Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.” – Margaret Cousins


Join my Weekly Words of Support!  https://www.juliecappel.com

Join me on the Podcast!!  





No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...