Sunday, April 21, 2019

Why I Want to be More like my Dogs


This morning as I struggled to get out of bed and get my day started, it occurred to me that my dogs, Trent and Parker, are so much better at life than I am.  They pop out of bed and bound around me with joy as I shuffle to the coffee maker to get my morning dose of caffeine.  They wake up without an alarm clock to start their day.  They are always happy with the meals that I serve them, even though it is always the same dry kibble with a little canned Hill’s I/D.  No complaints or whining - they snarf it down as fast as they can as if I were Gordon Ramsey serving them Beef Wellington.  After breakfast, Parker, my 11-month-old puppy, happily runs out into the yard and barks at the same tree where he sometimes gets the reward of seeing an early morning squirrel.  They are pure joy.

I aspire to be more like my dogs – here is why.

Trent and Parker
Trent and Parker have the ability to always live in the moment.  They do not cause themselves anxiety by focusing on the past or their future.  Our anxiety comes from agonizing over something that happened yesterday or worrying about something that may happen tomorrow.  Dogs don’t do that.  Parker is a bit skittish when it comes to loud noises, but once the noise danger has passed, he recovers quickly.  The calmer I remain with the sound, the calmer he becomes.  If I could imitate living in the present like Parker, I could react quickly to a situation, let it go, then really enjoy the rest of my day. I want to live in the moment like Parker.

Trent and Parker remain present in simplicity and nature.  They are acutely aware of their surroundings.   They are most happy when they are out on a walk or running free.  They are not concerned with global warming or whether or not it will rain tomorrow; they just enjoy what is.  When I walk with my dogs and observe the way they appreciate simple things like green grass, pleasant smells, warm sunshine and eagerly greeting a neighbor, I am reminded of the beauty of simplicity. I can let go of my concerns and see the world through their eyes.  It is almost like a focused meditation in the way they experience life and nature. I want to enjoy nature and simplicity like my dogs.

Trent and Parker do not hang on to resentment or anger.  They always forgive.  Just think how much better your life would be if you could forgive every transgression like your dog.  Last night we left the house at around 4:00pm for a recital that we were attending about an hour from our home.  Because it was earlier than they usually eat, I decided to have them wait for their dinner until we returned - which I thought would be around 9:00 pm.  We left the boys home while we were away.  After the recital, we were invited to dinner with some friends and did not arrive back home until after midnight.  The dogs did not hold a grudge or become angry that we were home late.   Had it been me that was waiting for my meal for 6 hours without explanation, I would be furious.  They just happily greeted us and snarfed down their meal.  I felt terrible about the food delay, but they were just happy to get a snack any time that I offered it.  No grudges, no anger.  They are simply incapable of feeling blame.  I want to be more forgiving like my dogs.

My dogs have no interest in things or money.  They live free from the trappings of accumulation and greed.  Trent has a toy basket, and he does not care if there are 3 toys in it or 10.  He happily grabs whatever toy is available at the time and plays his favorite “keep away” game with me.  Trent is never concerned when I take away a toy that is tattered and worn, and then I throw it in the trash.  He does not beg for something new.  He does not need the latest iPhone or tablet.  He is just content with what he has.  I want to feel content with my belongings like Trent.

I have come to the conclusion that my dogs are beautiful teachers.  They don’t live in the past or worry about the future.  If I observe them and listen to what they are teaching me, I will become more consciously aware, and my life will become more vibrant.

I want to be more like my dogs.

“Dogs, for a reason that can only be described as divine, have the ability to forgive, let go of the past, and live each day joyously.  It’s something the rest of us strive for.”  Jennifer Skiff


Dr. Julie Cappel


Join me on the Podcast - The Veterinary Life Coach Podcast with Dr. Julie Cappel 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-veterinary-life-coach-podcast-with-dr-julie-cappel/id1451549730?mt=2

No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...