Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Answer is Love


Today, like many other days at a veterinary hospital, I had the unique privilege to share in a woman’s grief. 

Why do I call this experience a privilege? Please let me explain.

As veterinarians we often have to deal with the death of a pet.  Most often the death is brought on by a difficult choice called euthanasia.  Clients say, “Doctor, I don’t know how you do this everyday.“ Or friends say, “How do you deal with all the grief?”  I am never sure just how to answer, but in my mind I always think that I am witnessing something uniquely beautiful.  That may sound strange, but it is my truth.  In those difficult moments, I am witness to the profound love between a person and their pet. 

There is a quote from Zig Ziglar that says, “If there were no love, there would be no grief.” 

One of my daily appointments was for a cat named Tigger.  I had seen Tigger just a few short days before because his health was quickly failing.  He was losing weight, having trouble eating and falling over while walking.  Tigger was a sweet old emaciated, dehydrated, 17 year old cat with a beautiful personality.  He was very ill, but he remained dignified and friendly, purring weakly when he was stroked or touched.  The women that cared for him was very distraught, telling me that this cat had previously belonged to her relative that had died.  She had struggled with the decision for several days as we came to the conclusion that Tigger had cancer and would not recover.   Today was the day that she decided that she had to say goodbye.  As he lay on the blanket that we laid out, the woman talked to him gently stroking his chin and he returned the gesture by purring and leaning into her hand.   I watched the woman grieving over her sweet cat and the cat returning her love by lifting his head and allowing her to rub his boney chin for the last time.    As she whispered her last goodbyes, her tears landing on his little face, he gazed at her with a look that could only be complete trust and love.  The love that passed between them was amazing and beautiful.  She quietly left the room as I gave him his final rest.

I have lived through so many versions of this story, with many clients and with my own personal pets.  Over and over again I come to the same conclusion.  Grief is the price we pay for love, and a life without love would not be worth living. 

So the answer to the question, “How do you do this everyday?”

The answer is simply, love.



Dr. Julie Cappel


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would NEVER leave the room before it was over.

Unknown said...

I hold my kitties when they pass on.....i want them to feel love and to feel safe with their caregiver holding them. Its a difficult moment to watch their last breaths but if the vet does it right it can be peaceful.

The Veterinary Life Coach - Dr. Julie Cappel said...

Everyone handles grief differently and I support every client’s decision to remain for the entire procedure or not. There is no right or wrong when it comes to loving your pet and experiencing grief.

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...