Sunday, November 13, 2022

Louisiana Lessons






This weekend, I am in Shreveport, Louisiana, attending a performance of The Barber of Seville by Shreveport Opera. The female lead character, Rosina, was played by my daughter Bridget Cappel. I probably would not be in Shreveport except for this performance; however, my husband attended college here at Louisiana State University Shreveport, so he enjoys showing me around the town where he grew up. We are also getting to spend time with friends and family.


I could not be more proud of my children. They are the most unique, kind, and talented people, and they are both musicians and performers. While we are here watching Bridget perform in the Opera, my son Tristan is performing on tour with Post Modern Jukebox. (Check them out when they are in your city - they are fabulous.)


When you have children, people will tell you that your life will change, but they don't tell you how much those children will teach you and push you to grow. My children make me proud to be their mother every day, not only because they are amazing but because they exhibit the utmost tenacity and perseverance for me. Perseverance is a lesson they teach me as I watch them navigate their unusual careers. Perseverance is a lesson we all need to learn; It takes perseverance to turn any goal into a reality.


Perseverance is "Persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success."


Opera singers, artists, and musicians like my kids, study music and performing for years, not just years, decades. It is a stringent discipline that must be studied and practiced every day in order to display their product (art) on the stage successfully. Any goal that you have for success in your life and career will require you to adopt discipline and perseverance, much as musicians do. A daily practice of the small steps to your goals will ultimately bring you to successful completion. 


When working on any goal, it is tempting to avoid it when feeling discouraged. Even as I write this blog, I think I want to quit. “Why can't I just sit here and watch Netflix?” It would be so much easier than writing this blog. My thoughts tell me, "Just give it up already; this blog sucks!" 


We all have setbacks as we work towards significance, but if we can learn to overcome our urge to quit, we can build resilience and persevere. 


How do we persevere?


Keep your eye on the prize. If you know where you want to go (and why) you will be much more likely to get there. Every goal requires a level of vision, so create a strong enough image for your success to keep you from quitting.

  

Try to embrace your failure. It takes many, many failures to get to big success. Much like the artists repeatedly auditioning to get the big part, you must expect that everything will not be easy. Continuously working, failing, and working again is what keeps you moving forward. 


Make small strides each day. Just complete one task each day that moves you along your success timeline. You do not have to accomplish big things every day to see progress. Steady small steps toward your goal without quitting will result in success. 


Build a growth mindset. When working on any goal, it helps to think of growing, not necessarily finishing. Every musician must continuously work on their craft to maintain their level of expertise and to get better. If you stop working, you will start regressing. With growth in mind, you will continue to make strides, see change, and develop. 


Lean on others for support. When you feel like quitting, you need someone to encourage you. Having someone who believes in you when you don't believe in yourself will add to your ability to be persistent and preserver.


It feels great to learn, grow, and finish amazing things. Do not give up! Success is waiting for you on the other side of your hard work. Now go get something done!


Dr. Julie Cappel


"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."– Walter Elliot.


No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...