Sunday, February 20, 2022

Mindset Matters




The longer I work in veterinary medicine, the more I learn about my mindset and how it matters to my overall life experience. So much of what we feel both physically and mentally comes from our thoughts, whether we realize it or not. I always think of myself as having my head on straight and feeling in control of my life, but when my brain gets stressed and overwhelmed it can derail me.


Much of our mindset is developed during childhood and is developed through our experiences. We can embrace a positive or negative attitude depending on past situations and memories. We can lean towards a fixed or growth mindset depending on whether we were praised more for our intelligence or effort.


Many of us struggle with our negative mindset because we don’t accept ourselves for who we really are. We are focused on how our life should be, and we argue with reality and push ourselves to keep up with others in our circle or social media. In truth, we need to start with self-love and realize our value as unique humans. We are worthy just because God created us. That does not mean that we cannot strive to be and feel happier, but we need to remain faithful to ourselves. You will feel much better if you compare yourself to yourself and not someone else.


A fixed mindset believes that we are born with a fixed amount of intelligence and abilities. A growth mindset believes that with practice and effort, we have limitless potential. We all practice a combination of fixed and growth mindsets, so observe where you are in each circumstance. Do you feel stuck in your abilities or open to learning? It matters what you think about yourself when you are faced with challenges. If you believe that you are helpless, you will remain where you are. If you feel that you can learn and grow, life will open up to you.  


When you feel overwhelmed with your life, surround yourself with positive people who love and support you. Talking and laughing with family and friends can do a great deal to improve your mindset. Family and friends will also help you open up to challenges by supporting you in your goals. We all struggle occasionally, and having a solid support system at home and work is imperative to improving your mindset.


This week I vow to work on my mindset by accepting myself as worthy and appreciating my relationships with friends and family. I will work towards possibilities by embracing growth. Work on your mindset this week because it matters.  


Dr. Julie Cappel



“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” - Wayne Dyer.

No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...