Sunday, January 16, 2022

Small Disciplines




Each January, I like to take some time to reflect and appreciate the experiences and accomplishments of the prior year. I do this exercise to remind myself to be grateful for the most important things in my life, good health, and time spent with family and friends. I also like to look back at my goals and resolutions from last year to see where I am on my growth journey. What things did I do well, and what changes will I make this year to be better?


In the book, The Fifteen Invaluable Laws of Growth, John Maxwell says, “Small disciplines repeated with consistency every day lead to great achievements gained slowly over time.”  Every small step we take towards personal development and growth will pay off in big dividends for our lives.


This week I am spending time at the VMX - The Veterinary Meeting & Expo in Orlando, Florida. As I attend various classes and hear from the brilliant minds of veterinary medicine, I gain an even stronger appreciation for this profession and the personal growth that it offers. The veterinary profession is one of variety and endless learning opportunities, both professionally and personally, and it is one of the main reasons I love this profession so much. It challenges and promotes us to grow. 


Why should we plan for growth each year and work towards personal development?


Through personal development, we think better and become more adaptable. When we concentrate on learning and growth, we can better embrace change and face adversity in our work and home environment. We feel more accepting of challenges and less likely to become anxious when things do not go as planned. 


Personal development increases motivation and decreases boredom. Goal setting is a significant component of growth. With each small goal and achievement comes the motivation to learn more and do more. When you are immersed in lifelong learning and working towards goals, you do not have the time to indulge in feeling bored.   


Learning and growing make us happier and more balanced. In veterinary medicine, we talk a lot about balancing our work and our life. Working towards personal growth and goal setting automatically creates balance for our life by challenging us to learn new and exciting skills. Self-improvement and accomplishment feel fantastic, so pushing yourself to improve is the first step to feeling more balanced. The balance naturally leads to the creation of more overall happiness. 


Many more benefits come from self-reflection, goal setting, and personal growth, but don’t take my word for it. Try setting up some small disciplines that you can do every day to help you live into your goals and dreams. Learn something new and branch out to things you never thought you would try. Remember, happiness comes from honoring yourself by vowing to change and grow each day.  


Dr. Julie Cappel


“Your mission is to become better today than you were yesterday.” ― John C. Maxwell, 


No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...