Sunday, December 26, 2021

Perfect Christmas




Yesterday was Christmas Day and mine was quite extraordinary. Most of my family was together - some via zoom. Everyone stayed healthy, and the weather cooperated - we are in Florida, so the weather is terrific. As I write this, my adult children play video games (silly Fortnite dances flash on the screen), eat pizza, and laugh like silly ten-year-olds sitting next to me on the sofa. These are the holiday memories that mothers long to experience.


Christmas is not always this kind to everyone. I have been lucky for the most part this year, but I know many have experienced significant loss, financial strains, long work hours, and disappointment during the holidays. Then there are the stresses we put on ourselves to provide the ideal holiday experience for our families: the perfect decorations, the perfect tree, the best gifts, the most delicious food. Our brains tell us Moms are supposed to provide all these things, but we never seem to feel accomplished. 


It is so easy to feel like a failure during the holidays. Scrolling through social media adds to the feeling because every other post is of a beautiful family dressed impeccably and looking perfectly happy. This morning I read a social media post from a veterinary Mom, extremely upset (enough to write a long raving post), that she worked herself to the bone to buy and wrap all the family gifts. Her husband didn't purchase a gift to put under the tree or anything for her stocking. She felt under-appreciated, disappointed, and distraught that she worked so hard to make everything perfect and no one thought of her. (I hear you and have been there, sister!)


How can a Mom live up to everything that a "good Mom" is supposed to do for the holidays and feel appreciated? Is there a way to anticipate the holiday, handle the responsibilities, and enjoy the day, even if it does not go as well as a Hallmark Christmas movie? 


Many emotions come with the buildup to the holidays, and the best thing that we can do is expect them. Spend some time in thought and meditation so that you can sort out your feelings. If something disappoints, don't forget that disappointment is part of living. Embrace your imperfections and find humor in the situation. Remember that some of the best memories come from failures. My kids have the best time laughing at the memories of awkward Christmas photos or gifts that did not go over well. Young children may not get it, but when your kids grow up, they will realize that the magic of Christmas is all about their parent's efforts to make them feel loved, not about any gift that they receive.


Remember that children cry, throw tantrums, and people fight behind the scenes for every beautiful family photo. Those photos don't make it to social media. Turkeys dry out, lights go out, and cookies burn in every home. Every time you feel as if you dropped the ball, another mom is out there doing the same. You are in good company. We have all failed at many things during the holidays and will continue to do so. Look around, take it in, laugh, and remember it all when you fail. Hang in there, mama; you have 364 days to prepare for the next Christmas.  


While I have been writing this blog, each family member has hugged me goodnight and retired to their bed. The house is quiet, and the dogs are lying by my feet. Tomorrow will be another day to enjoy my family together before they all fly back to their own homes. I want to appreciate all of it, the laughter, the cooking, the cleaning, the dirty dishes, and even the disagreements. While I tear down the decorations, I will remember the people that are no longer here that made my past Christmases great: My grandparents, my brilliant father-in-law, my favorite uncle, and my beautiful nephew. The memories that we hold and continue to create are what a well-lived life is all about. 


Christmas is not about perfection; it is about love. 


Dr. Julie Cappel


"It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” -
Mother Theresa

No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...