Sunday, August 29, 2021

Walk, Look, and Listen




I traveled with my parents this weekend, north to Elk Rapids, Michigan. The purpose was to take a short vacation and visit some family and friends who live in the area. We rented a little Airbnb close to town and just a stone's throw away from the beach. It is a beautiful town, and I would highly recommend visiting if you ever have a chance. 


This morning after drinking my coffee, I prepared to take a walk. When I am walking alone, my habit is to put in my earbuds and listen to a podcast or book—multitasking my physical exercise and continuing education into one power walk. I know that multitasking lowers productivity, but I still seem to want to try it whenever possible. There is something in my ENFJ personality that compels me to experience everything all at once. In reality, my multitasking causes me to miss things and lose focus.  


As I stepped out the door this morning to start my walk, I saw the beautiful sunshine through the trees, and something told me to leave the earbuds behind and focus on the walk. I decided to choose to be present to see and hear everything that this beautiful area had to offer.  


I gave up multitasking to create mindfulness, and here is what I observed.


I observed the sun rising over the trees as the birds sang their morning songs. I heard some fish jump as I walked along the boardwalk around the marina. I observed vacationers laughing outside the diner as they enjoyed their eggs and coffee. I greeted my Dad, who was walking back from the coffee shop on his exploratory walk. (We are alike, my Dad and I) 


I saw a woman pushing her young son on a swing in the park. They were laughing and yelling "WEEE" as the swing went higher and higher. I found a cute little sidewalk book exchange box, where you can take a book and leave a book. (I took two, so I owe that box). I saw a flock of monarch butterflies visiting wildflowers next to a park. 


I found several historical signs — you know the kind that tells you about the history of a particular building or structure? I stopped and read each one in detail. I rarely do that. 


I stopped along the beach and listened to the waves as they splashed against the rocks. I felt the sun on my skin and took everything in along my several-mile walk, and returned with a better appreciation of my world. (and two books)


Mindfulness is "the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we're doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what's going on around us."


It takes some effort to give up multitasking long enough to slow down and smell the roses. The small things you miss by multitasking may be the very things you need to notice to feel whole.


Try to remain fully aware this week as you go through your days. Try listening to the sounds, seeing the sights, and smelling the smells. Your life will be better for it. 


Dr. Julie Cappel


“The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness.” - Jon Kabat-Zinn

No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...