Sunday, November 10, 2019

Why are you not moving forward?



This week I am working on creating a new veterinary program on goal setting and creating results.  I have been studying and building a power point presentation for my MVMA Power of Ten group.  Ironically, while working on this program on “goals”, so many things have come up for me.  I have been struggling to move forward and just get it done.

The week has been filled with challenges that I have used as an excuse to not move forward.  Our computers went down at the hospital and we are having to do everything by hand.  I discovered a leak and mold problem in my basement and my dog developed a gastrointestinal illness, ruining my carpet.  Those were just some of the things.   My circumstances have been many, and they have created quite a challenge for my easily distractible brain.  Instead of focusing on developing my program, I have been letting myself become absorbed in the challenges that my life is offering. 


Why should we set goals and move forward?

We need to set goals and move forward, because our brain needs direction and focus.  If you let your brain decide what you are going to do, it will take the path of least resistance and have you eating cookies and watching Netflix all day.  Your brain wants to keep you safe, so when you set a big goal that you do not currently know how to accomplish, your brain reacts with fear and distraction.

What can we do to create focus and achieve our goal?

We all have a tendency to focus on the drama around us instead of focusing on achievement.  This is the most common reason that we avoid working on big things.  In order to focus and overcome the fear that our brain creates, we need to learn to be uncomfortable on purpose.  Realize that feeling bad is part of the deal when doing something big. Big goals will cause uncomfortable feelings, and that is OK.  Expect them so you won’t be surprised when they occur.

Be on to yourself.  I know that if something comes up in my day that will help me escape from working on my goal, my brain is going to want to lose focus.  Knowing ahead of time that I am easily distracted, helps me to catch myself when it happens and redirect my attention back to the goal.  It happened to me while writing this – I was distracted by my dogs, but I caught myself and came right back to the writing.

Be willing to fail.  Failure is a part of achieving any worthwhile goal.  It will be a rare occurrence that you will get it right the first time you try, so expect to fail.  Failing and trying again, will always be more useful that sitting back and waiting for things to happen. 

Commit to yourself.  You have to decide on purpose that you want something and then figure out how to get it.

Set a goal. 
Expect your brain to freak out.
Feel the fear and move forward anyway.
Commit to yourself and do not quit.
Fail until you achieve the goal. 

Believe that you can do it and move forward.

Dr. Julie Cappel

“You have to set goals that are almost out of reach. If you set a goal that is attainable without much work or thought, you are stuck with something below your true talent and potential.” —Steve Garvey






No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...