Sunday, September 15, 2019

How much can a little bird and one veterinarian take?




This week I experienced total frustration and a lesson in persistence, thanks to our veterinary reference laboratory. 

A long-time client was boarding her two cockatiels for a few days. She asked if I would examine them and do their routine annual blood screening while they were at the hospital boarding.  They are Brie, a sweet, beautiful female and Ollie, a happy, busy male bird with unusual leg conformation.  His unusual legs are due to a previous accident in which he was accidentally sat upon - breaking both of his legs.  Both birds were healthy and active the day that I examined them and drew their blood to send to the outside laboratory for analysis.  It was a Tuesday afternoon.

On Wednesday (my day off) I was going through records at home, trying to catch up, when I ran across the blood results in the computer.  Brie’s blood was completely normal, but Ollie’s blood was definitely not normal.  In fact, his calcium result was only four, and his Hematocrit was 10%, along with a bunch of other abnormalities that indicated that this bird was surely dead. 

I dialed up the hospital and asked to speak to one of my technicians.  When she came to the phone, I said, “Will you please go look at Brie and Ollie, the two cockatiels that are boarding, and tell me if the male is dead?”  She gasped and said, “I think he is fine, but I will go look.”  She put me on hold and when she came back to the phone she said, “He looks fine to me, he is eating and whistling like normal.”  I said, “That’s good, I thought so.”  “Now, will you please call the lab and see if you can find out what happened with his bloodwork results?  The results listed in the computer must be a mistake because they are far from normal, they are impossible.”  She told me that she would call and get back to me after she talked to the lab.   

The lab could not give us an answer, so I spent the next day calling the owner and telling her that I did not believe the blood results and that they were far from normal. I asked her to bring him back in a week to retest him. She promised to bring him back after her vacation for a repeat blood draw.  She brought him back the next week, and we again sent blood out for analysis. 

The next day I received his chemistry report, which was completely normal.  His calcium was 8.5, and the other chemistries made more sense, but then I noticed that I was missing the Complete Blood Count portion of the panel.  I needed it because that portion gave me the low Hematocrit of 10%. 

Argh!!!  Again, I had the technicians call the lab.  The first answer that we received was that we did not have enough blood to do the testing. I knew that was incorrect because we had sent plenty. The second time around, I asked my most assertive technician to call because I know that she is a fan of conflict. Like me, she enjoys a good fight and would surely get to the bottom of it.  When she called, she went round and round with the staff at the lab and eventually got in touch with a supervisor that told us that there was a miscommunication between my hospital team and the lab staff and they thought that they were only rerunning the chemistries.  They did not retain the blood slides and were unable to redo the test.  What??

Fortunately for me, this is a rare occurrence with this lab, in fact, I think that I have not seen an issue like this in the past couple years, so I guess I should cut them some slack. Unfortunately for me, it is now my job to call the owner and explain again that we need more blood from this small innocent creature. 

Making this phone call is going to take some mental toughness - not to throw the laboratory under the bus and blame them for this circumstance. I need to prove to myself that I am tough and resilient.  I need to let my anger go and decide on purpose to overcome this obstacle.  I will be persistent.  I will persevere.

Before I call this client again, I will take a lesson from Rocky and go “one more round” with this laboratory and little bird.  

 “Going in one more round when you don’t think you can.  That’s what makes all the difference in your life.” – Rocky Balboa

Dr. Julie Cappel



No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...