Sunday, February 17, 2019

Early Morning Magic - Give Yourself One Hour


As I was navigating my morning ritual today I started thinking about early morning rituals and how important they are to our success and mental health. I have notoriously been a night owl all my life, so mornings are often a struggle for me; however,  I have found through research and experience that having a solid hour of morning ritual before I have to get ready for work, makes me more productive and happier throughout my day. 

As I was researching the subject to write this blog I ran across a webpage called, “Early Morning Magic”.   It sounded super interesting but I was unsure that I should explore the page. Perhaps it was not PG.  I decided to risk it and clicked on the “Early Morning Magic” link.  To my surprise and delight I discovered that it was a website advertising a program at Disney’s Magic Kingdom that allows visitors to enter the park an hour before the crowds. (for an additional $79)  For that “nominal fee” you can be the first to enjoy the park and the rides before the crowds descend.  Sounds wonderful right?

It was actually a perfect title for my blog about early morning rituals of successful people.   I hope Disney doesn’t mind me borrowing it.  

Studies have shown that early morning hours have proven to be the most productive and are a real secret to many peoples’ outstanding success.  Many highly effective and successful people use their mornings in a very specific and productive way.  I have painfully adopted this practice over the years and I have found that it is true.  I say painfully because I love to stay up late and avoid sleep at all costs until I am forced by sheer exhaustion to settle down and sleep.  For someone that does not like to sleep, early morning rising is difficult.  But, I have a specific flow and ritual to my mornings that I have adjusted over the years and the more specific I get in the ritual the more the morning hour serves me. As I have embraced the morning I find that I get so much more done each day if I just start my day right.

How do you start your day? If you are sleeping until the last minute and then rushing to get ready for work, disheveled and with sleep in your eyes, you are doing it wrong.  If you want to be more productive and feel better, set your alarm 30-60 minutes earlier.  Try it for 2 weeks.  Just do it.  Embracing your morning and adding time to your day will pay off in your happiness and productivity.

Here are some things that you can do with your hour to change your life for the better.

Avoid screen time:  Do not immediately check your cell phone, computer or TV news programs.  Screen time can have a profound negative effect on your day.  The amount of negativity that is spewed on morning news and social media feeds will start your brain in a negative space before you even get a chance to appreciate the day.  Email will remind you of the things that you failed to complete yesterday.  Avoid them for at least one hour in the morning.

Stretch your body or get some light exercise.  Stretching your body or engaging in light exercise will increase blood flow to your body and help you to releases the tension that builds up in your muscles from inactivity.  It clears your mind and readies it to take in more positive things to come in your day.

Brew your coffee, do some chores and make your bed.  I have always made my bed, thanks to my Mom, and I also have to feed and care for my pets as part of my morning routine. All these things add order to your day.  Keeping your space clean and clutter free has been proven to decrease the amount of stress you feel. 71 percent of bed makers consider themselves happy;  while 62 percent of non-bed-makers admit to being unhappy. Bed makers are also more likely to enjoy their jobs, own a home, exercise regularly, and feel well rested.  (pshychologytoday.com)

Read something positive or listen to an inspirational message or podcast in the morning.  I like to read something in the morning that inspires me.  I also try to get 10 minutes of meditation in after I read to let the information more fully sink in.  Meditation is intimidating if you have not done it before, but there are some good apps for guided meditation that make it easier.  Making a gratitude list may help you get your mind in a positive space if you are struggling.

Spend a few moments each morning visualizing and planning your day.  It helps me to write a list in my bullet journal of the three things that I MUST finish today.  Planning your day first thing in the morning when your mind is clear and you are relaxed will help you focus on the things that are important.   Keeping a clear head will increase your overall productivity. Set a solid foundation for a great day.

Practice thinking, “Today I am living on purpose and I will DO great things.”

This is your day.  Give yourself one hour and live it.

Dr. Julie Cappel


“Time isn’t the main thing it’s the only thing.”  Miles Davis





No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...