Sunday, August 12, 2018

"Yes, but..." - How to handle client objections.



How many times have you stood in an exam room with a loyal client, given them your undivided attention and your best advice only to have them say, “Yes, but…”

They may make excuses, argue with you or just completely ignore your recommendations.  Sometimes you may even find out that they disregarded your instructions completely to take the advice of a groomer, friend or relative.

They say things like, “I already tried that.” “He won’t eat that prescription food”; “I am too busy to do that.” Or “I can not afford it.”   Being faced with all of these objections can lead us to feelings of inadequacy, frustration, stress and even hopelessness.

Just this week I had a client almost lose her bird because she ignored my warnings about taking a bird outside unrestrained.  She was very fortunate to get him back safely, but why didn’t she listen?  I could give you at least five more examples of objections that I received this week from my clients and even from my veterinary team.  I have the most amazing loyal clients and fabulous ambitious team, but their human nature causes them to voice objections to recommendations almost daily. 

How can we manage our minds around these objections and accomplish our goal of serving our clients while decreasing our stress?

Fully listen to the objection.  There are some objections that are valid and have nothing to do with disrespecting you.   Do not get defensive or discouraged.  Listen to the reason that your client has for objecting and see if you can come to some kind of compromise to satisfy your interest (the pet) and theirs.  If you truly listen to everything that they have to say about the subject it will increase your understanding of their situation. Through careful listening, you will be better able to get to the solution that they desire and keep yourself from feeling frustrated. After all, your job is to serve the client as well as their pet.  If you listen with an open mind, your client will leave your office feeling heard.

Ask questions about the objection.  I find that asking questions about a particular objection not only helps me to understand my client better, but can also move them closer to my way of thinking.  Asking questions to gain understanding helps me to design my discussion to better educate the client around the importance of our medical advice.  Asking questions will help you get a feel for their capabilities and understand their concerns. It will also go a long way to strengthen your relationship and bond them to you as their veterinarian.  Ask honest open-ended questions to really get to the root of the objection.

Respond with kindness and understanding.  There are many circumstances where our clients want to do what we ask, but they are just unable to do so.  They have budget constraints, they have physical constraints, they have family issues and even personal things that can prevent them from properly treating their pet.  If you remember that clients are human beings with their own unique set of problems and seek to understand their challenges, you will be better able to agree on a solution that they are more likely to follow.  

If you approach each client interaction with the heart of a teacher, listening, seeking to understand, and responding with kindness, you will be better able to deal with objections and turn objections into successful satisfying client interactions.

Dr. Julie Cappel

“An objection is not a rejection; it is simply a request for more information.”  Bo Bennett











No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...