Sunday, July 1, 2018

Find your Grit and become a Ninja.



“Grit is that 'extra something' that separates the most successful people from the rest. It's the passion, perseverance, and stamina that we must channel in order to stick with our dreams until they become a reality.”   Travis Bradberry

This weekend I was fortunate enough to participate in an event that reminded me about the concept of grit. 

What do I mean by grit?  The definition is, “courage and resolve; strength of character” and in the above quote “that extra something”.  It is the extra something that convinces us not to quit when our negative thoughts tell us that things are impossible in our work or home life.  Grit allows for success in the face of failure.

Have you ever watched American Ninja Warrior?   The contest is a true test of human perseverance and grit. The contestants prepare for the courses and come back to try again, even when they fall face first into the water surrounding the obstacles.  The Ninjas are doing things with their bodies that they thought was impossible until they actually hit the buzzer and finish.

What I did this weekend was nowhere near American Ninja Warrior caliber, but for me it was a test of grit.   It was a 50-mile bike ride, in 92-degree heat and I was a rookie.   My last 20 miles were along an asphalt road with heat radiating off the pavement up into my face,  sun beating down on my baking skin and sweat pouring into my eyes.  My legs were fatigued and it would have been super easy to just pull off the route and call Uber (with a bike rack) to take me home.  I had to reach down deep to pull out my grit to keep peddling to the finish.  I was hot, tired and a bit miserable, but when I saw the finish line, I was proud of myself for my accomplishment. 

Do we need grit in our veterinary practice?  Absolutely!  When an emergency walks in, just as you are just getting ready to leave for the evening.  Grit.  When you have two walk-in appointments in addition to your regular schedule.  You have to be gritty.  You have to put on your multitasking hat, boss your technicians around like a Ninja, and get the impossible done.  Your mind will tell you that it is crazy to take care of two emergencies at once, but in reality you can do it.  You just go into Ninja Warrior mode and get it done.  You don’t have time for worry or fear; you need to pull out your grit plow forward and trust your instincts and your team.  You will save 2 lives in the time it usually takes to save one.  What a great feeling!  Super Veterinary Ninja! 

The next time you feel your brain telling you that your life is too much, or you need to
do something that seems impossible, call on your grit and become a Ninja.   





Leave me a story about a time that you used your grit to overcome an obstacle in the comments below.

No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...