Sunday, January 5, 2020

Stepping Out



These past few years were big for me; I changed my career in a significant way.  I didn’t give up veterinary medicine -- no -- I am still and always will be a practicing veterinarian. I did add some new skills to my bag of veterinary tricks.  I took and completed a course in life coaching and became certified as a life coach.  I began chasing this dream about five years ago, so completing it in 2019 was a big accomplishment.

I have always studied leadership and have enjoyed working with people on problem solving.  Working as a hospital owner for over 20 years, I found many opportunities to be a leader and help others lead, but I saw a need in our veterinary community for someone to coach veterinarians through the struggle of stress, anxiety, and burnout.  I developed a blog, podcast and several presentations focused on helping veterinary professionals. 

I have presented at various veterinary meetings and joined a life coaching school that taught me the skills to help veterinarians understand their brains, and provided them the skills to manage their minds around the challenges that we all face. It has been a joyous, often difficult, and worthwhile journey.  Coaching veterinarians is amazing, and I love helping people discover themselves and challenge their status quo.

Did you know that people laugh when you tell them you are a life coach? Why did I choose to face my fear of ridicule and doubt from my peers?  Why do it?

Stepping out of your comfort zone will open doors for you.  Each new skill or experience will build on the last, and things that you never thought possible will start to happen for you.  You will meet new people that may help you reach the next step on your journey and open you up for the next opportunity.  Staying comfortable and living small will feel good in the moment, but will keep you from new experiences and interesting encounters. My coaching has led me to so many interesting people and experiences.

Stepping out of your comfort zone will sharpen your existing skills.  If you embrace the lessons that others teach you, the skills that you previously had will evolve and improve.  When I listen to another doctor in my practice tell me about something that they learned at a continuing education event, I open myself up to the possibility of learning a better way.  My skills will be improved because I am not afraid to try to do something differently. I become a better veterinarian because I stepped out of my comfort zone.

Stepping out of your comfort zone will make you a better person.  When you start to challenge yourself, you will begin to awaken parts of you that you never knew existed.  You will discover that you have many strengths that you never knew you possessed.  It is much easier to keep control over the known things in your life by living small; however, stepping into a new experience will open you up to opportunities and discoveries about your strengths and weaknesses.  Trying new things allows you to understand yourself better and builds character.

So, try something new this year that scares you a little.  Try to stretch and challenge yourself in small ways.  The more you try it, the easier it will get.  You will feel fear but push through the fear and work towards growth.  You will discover things about yourself that you previously did not know and become a more authentic you.  You may just help others in the process.


Julie Cappel

“There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.”  - Ronald Reagan


Join me on the Podcast!  




 


No comments:

How to Remain Peaceful and Centered

Through my career in veterinary medicine and life coaching, I have met many wonderful people in every stage and position of their careers. I...